I’m guessing you’ve heard of Gretchen Rubin, and if not well you’re in for a treat! She is the author of several books, including the blockbuster New York Times bestsellers Better Than Before, The Happiness Project, Happier at Home, and The Four Tendencies. We touch on all of those today and explain how these ideas can be practical to your daily life.
Gretchen has an enormous readership, both in print and online, and her books have collectively sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide in more than 30 languages. Her podcast called “Happier with Gretchen Rubin” is one of my favorites, where she discusses good habits and happiness with her sister Elizabeth.
In this episode, we talk happiness, parenting, community, and how to foster inner calm in your own life… let’s dive in!
Episode Highlights With Gretchen Rubin
- How Gretchen got the idea to start a happiness project
- The one universal thing everybody wants
- The difference between outer and inner expectations, and what you can learn from how you respond to each
- Why we’re all rebels on some level (and how this explains a lot about parenting)
- The four temperaments that influence most of our behavior
- Why cleaning out a closet can change your whole outlook
- The one-minute rule that will boost your efficiency in every area
- How to power hour your way to peace
- The biggest contributor to clutter (it’s actually in your head)
- Why we attribute so much sentimental value to items (and how to decide what’s really important)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Gretchen’s Four Tendencies Quiz
Books by Gretchen Rubin
- The Four Tendencies: The Indispensable Personality Profiles That Reveal How to Make Your Life Better (and Other People’s Lives Better, Too)
- Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter and Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
- Better Than Before: What I Learned About Making and Breaking Habits–to Sleep More, Quit Sugar, Procrastinate Less, and Generally Build a Happier Life
- The Happiness Project
- Happier at Home: Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon Self-Control, and My Other Experiments in Everyday Life
More From Wellness Mama
- 274: Spirituality, Psychedelics & Circumcision: Taboo Topics With Luke Storey
- 223: Mindset for Moms – Tips to Get More Done & Stress Less This Year
- 229: How to Use Atomic Habits to Change Your Life
- 218: Happy New Year: 21 Tiny Habits That Can Drastically Change Your Life This Year
- 103: A Professional Organizer Shares How to Beat Clutter
- 77: Minimalism with a Family to Decrease Stress and Clutter with Joshua Becker
- How Minimalism With a Family is Possible (& Life Changing!)
Did you enjoy this episode? What other questions do you have for Gretchen? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Organifi, my source for super high quality superfood powders that are often part of my meals, especially when I travel. They have green juice, their most popular drink that lets you incorporate farm-fresh gently dehydrated ingredients into your diet and lock in the extra vitamins and antioxidants. Just add to water, drink, and let your body soak up the benefits. It tastes great! It’s my go-to for veggies in the morning and is packed with chlorella and spirulina, which are great for detox. It also has turmeric for inflammation, mint for digestion, matcha green tea for energy, and ashwagandha for stress balance and other amazing ingredients. Their red juice is sweet and fruity (and is like kool-aid) but packed with antioxidant-rich superfoods like cordyceps for energy and reishi for detox and liver health, Rhodiola which is a secret weapon for athletes and boosts metabolism, plus an abundance of antioxidant-rich red berries that are low in sugar. It’s designed to fight aging, improve energy and metabolism and sharpen cognition and I often drink it midday. And lastly, their GOLD drink is awesome at night and is filled with turmeric, which is great for your skin, ginger, which is for your stomach or achy muscles, turkey tail, a superfood mushroom for immunity, coconut milk, for a healthy saturated fat, and cinnamon, which is good for blood sugar and tastes delicious. Check all of these out at organifi.com/wellnessmama and use the code WELLNESS20 for 20% off.
This episode is brought to you by SteadyMD, my family’s source for concierge medicine and our primary care doctors. Once something only available to the ultra-wealthy, concierge medicine is now available to all of us thanks to SteadyMD. This means my family is connected with a highly qualified MD certified in functional medicine and who knows our medical history, the supplements we take, our preferences for medical treatments and who is available anytime we need her via text, video chat, or phone call. She’s been there when I was trying to decide if I needed to take a kid in for stitches or a sore throat, she’s looked at my kids’ ears remotely via digital otoscope that I connect to my phone and she manages and advises based on regular labs. I’ve always said that your doctor should be your partner in managing your health and should listen and take into account your symptoms, feelings, and preferences and with SteadyMD, that absolutely happens. I feel supported, heard and confident knowing that I have one of the top doctors in the country available when I need her. With her help and thanks to diet and lifestyle changes in the past few years, I’ve been able to confirm that I no longer have any of the symptoms or lab markers of Hashimotos and am completely in remission! I truly can’t speak highly enough about SteadyMD and hope you’ll check them out. Head to steadyMD.com/wm to learn more and to take a quick quiz to see which doctor you match with.